Severe weather warning
As I am sure you have all heard, snow warnings have been issued for London and the south east.
The Met Office has issued a yellow weather warning for snow (the second most severe on the scale) covering large parts of south-east England, including London. This warning is currently in place from 13:00 on Thursday 31st January to 13:00 on Friday 1st February.
Will the school be closed?
We will do everything we can to keep our schools open. We will regularly assess the risks and aim to keep the schools open whenever it is safe to do so.
We will base this decision on a number of factors, primarily:
- Can the children get to and from the school safely? Are the roads leading to the school safe for families? Have the roads been gritted? Are local buses, trams and trains running?
- Is the site safe for the children? Are the paths and playgrounds safe?
- Are there enough staff on site to supervise the children? Staff often travel further to and from school than the pupils, so we need to consider transport and travel conditions over a much wider area.
- Is the forecast due to get much worse later on in the day?
How will we notify parents?
If we do have to close either of the schools, we will try to give parents and carers as much notice as we can so that you can make alternative arrangements.
We will post updates on the school blog and send messages via the Teachers2Parents app.
We are also part of the Open Check scheme.
In order to check whether we are open, you can either:
- Telephone 020 8408 7508 and key in the number 306 2090 to check whether we are open (Heavers Farm only).
- Go to Croydon’s website www.croydon.gov.uk where the current status for all Croydon schools is listed.
- Go here and select ‘Croydon‘ then ‘Heavers Farm Primary School’ then ‘Show status’ to see the latest information.