Being able to understand and use our times table knowledge within school is essential for the children to be successful in other areas of maths. To ensure that the children are confident in using and applying their times table knowledge, we will be focusing on learning our times tables each week within homework. This will help the children to become quicker and more confident in recalling and applying their times table knowledge.
Knowing our times tables doesn’t just mean that we are able to recite them, it means that we are able to answer a times table question out of order; use our times table knowledge to work out the division facts and use our understanding by applying it to different areas of maths.
Over the next couple of weeks we shall be introducing record cards for the children to be able to keep track of how well they are doing with knowing their times tables – keep an eye on the blog to find out more!
Expectations for each year group:
- Year 1 – To be able to count in multiples of 2, 5 and 10
- Year 2 – To recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 2, 5 and 10 times table
- Year 3 – To recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 3, 4 and 8 times tables
- Year 4 – To recall and use multiplication and division facts for the 6, 7, 9, 11 and 12 times tables
- Year 5 and 6 – To recall and use multiplication and division facts and apply this to fractions, decimals, percentages, algebra and ratio and proportion problems.
Ways that you can help your child at home:
- Practise the times table with them for 5 minutes each day
- Break the times table into smaller chunks and learn one part at a time
- When your child is able to recite their times table, ask them questions out of sequence to see if they can remember them
- Get your child to use tables that they know to help them with ones they are finding tricky e.g. using 3 x 6 to help them work out 3 x 12 by doubling the answer
- Keep checking over different times tables they have learnt previously
- Use different vocabulary with the children so that they become more confident with it (multiply, times, lots of, sets of)
- Have a competition to see who can get the most answers correct
Websites that your child could use: